When was the last time you focused on your professional development? If you can’t remember or it’s been a year or two, you many want to make some time. Often we get so caught up in running and managing our companies, fulfilling our day-to-day responsibilities, or helping our employees with their development; that we forget to carve out time for our development. Investing in your professional development is critical…it will help you to not only become more effective in your role, but it will help you have a successful company.
There are numerous ways to develop your skills and knowledge. But, a good place to start is by identifying what you want to achieve through your development and then seeking out the approaches that can help you achieve your goals. Keep in mind that development doesn’t always have to be a training class (although, taking a couple days out of the office to do some intensive training can be invaluable). For example, you can develop by:
• Attending association or networking educational events.
• Participating in a mastermind group with fellow professionals to exchange ideas, seek input, and support one another in attaining your goals.
• Reading books or listening to podcasts.
• Subscribing to industry experts’ Twitter feeds and blogs.
• Joining LinkedIn Groups that discuss topics in which you are interested.
Professional development is not only an investment in your business but an investment in YOU and isn’t that an investment worth making!