Employee referral programs have long been a successful tool to have in your recruitment toolbox. Referrals are great in many ways, but some of the top reasons include:
• Referrals stay longer with your organization
• Referrals tend to outperform those hired from other sources
• Referrals cost less to hire (no agencies, less job board fees)
Sounds great! Just offer a bonus and the referrals will poor in, right? Not necessarily. Unfortunately, some employee referral programs fail to reach their potential for many different reasons. Perhaps the open positions are not adequately promoted or the process is too cumbersome (too many forms to fill out, referrals get lost in the shuffle) or employees simply do not know how to source their networks. Whatever the reason, you want to ensure you are getting the most out of your program. But how do you maximize this effort?
The best employee referral programs have a few things in common (and money is not one of them):
• The program is visible and part of the workplace culture
• It is easy to refer – no cumbersome forms or confusing hoops to jump through
• Employees are educated on how to best promote opportunities and cast a wide net on social media
• The program is mobile – desktop, laptop, tablet, phone – ability to refer anywhere, anytime
• The experience is interactive and engaging…even fun!
A new breed of software providers have hit the scene over the last few years that not only alleviate these challenges, but also bring an element of fun into the mix. Software providers such as EmployeeReferrals.com, Zao, and RolePoint (just to name a few) are taking the referral game to the next level – allowing for a more interactive, engaging, and social employee referral experience. This new technology allows recruiters to design targeted campaigns, promote social sharing on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, and teach employees how to source their connections quickly and easily. Employees seem to love this new technology too. They can see where their referrals are in the process at all times and earn public praise and recognition for their efforts (friendly competition is a great motivator!).
When you look at the overall cost of recruiting, you can rest assured that the cost associated with an employee referral program is usually money well spent. Easy administration for HR, fun for the employees, and rock star new hires – what’s not to love?
Is it time to take your employee referral program to the next level? Email us or give us a call at 703-587-5615. We help our clients design and implement successful programs to reach to their organizational goals. We are happy to do the same for you.
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net